There have been a number of sporting clubs at St James over the years, including the following:
St James Golf Club
There is a 9-Hole Golf Course and Clubhouse.
Previous to the Recreation Reserve being the site for the Golf Club, it was played in one of Kelly’s paddocks. In between trees and a drain that ran through the middle of the course, the holes were sunk into bare patches of cleared ground. It was challenging to say the least. Today the sand scrapes are well maintained, the fairways cut short, with banks of trees to set a challenge. After the game a drink and a chat in the Clubhouse rounds off the day.
St James Bowls Club
Formed in 1964, the St James Bowls Club was built on land donated by the Kelly Family, and helped along with a donation by G.J. Coles. Tom Wren bulldozed the trees to clear the site and he carted all the sand and gravel required. Labour was carried out by future potential bowlers, helped by their sons who were roped in to help. It was a great community effort.
The Gun Club was re-formed in 1946 and has operated continually ever since. Meetings are held on the 5th Saturday of each month. With keen trap shooters and good prizes these shoots are very popular. This club is also on Kelly land. Contact Jim Kelly on (03) 57644214 for further details.
More history of these clubs can be seen at www.stjamesvic.com.au