All Roads Lead To Tungamah!
Welcome to the town of Tungamah, once a bustling hive of industry but still a town with a rich sense of community, resilient in times of disaster and proud of a very strong heritage.
The establishment of the township of Tungamah in 1875 was followed by the erection of some fine buildings, and the commencement of a variety of businesses to serve the needs of the growing community. Within a few years there were six hotels, four banks, a timber yard, three brickworks, a butter factory, an engineering works and numerous retail outlets.
in 1886 the railway line connected Tungamah to Benalla and Yarrawonga, and Tungamah’s population reached its peak in a few years. The railway, however, enabled local farmers to transfer their spending to the bigger towns, and Tungamah’s population began a slow decline.