The first services were held in the school, but the church building was erected in 1885 as the Presbyterian Church. It closed in the 1920’s, reopening in 1929. Sunday School classes were conducted until the mid-1980’s. A storm caused roof damage in 1980, and repairs included the reconstruction of the eastern end which greatly enhanced the appearance of the building.
In 1947 a number of Methodists joined the congregation after the closing of their church, and in 1977 the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches combined to become the United Australia Church, with services dropping back to alternate Sundays.
There was a very strong Roman Catholic presence in the early 1880’s, and after Mass was being held in the Mechanics’ Institute many were known to be praying outside as there was simply not enough room. A new church plot was donated in Spry Street in 1885, and the first Mass was celebrated there on 31st January 1886. The consecration took place in May that year, and a necessary extension of the building occurring in 1907.
In the 20th century, declining numbers of churchgoers meant services were greatly reduced, although in 1997 the weekly Mass was resumed in Tungamah.
The Church of England services were originally held in the schoolroom, but a donation of land in 1888 led to the building of the Anglican Church in 1889 on proviso it would become the Lutheran place of worship as well. Planned extensions and decorations were finally completed and consecrated in 1913.
On 28 May 1989 the Bishop of Wangaratta conducted a service celebrating the centenary of the church. A bottle had been found under the original foundation stone, containing newspapers and other items of that day. After adding similar items from the present day, along with a copy of the centenary service paperwork, it was replaced. It is due to be recovered again in 2039.
The first church built in Tungamah, pre-1884, this was located on Middleton Street.
In 1902 there was a uniting of the “Wesleyan Methodists”, the “Primitive Methodists”, the “United Free Methodists” and “The Bible Christians”, forming the Methodist Church of Australia. Worship continued in this building until 1947. The building was then removed and the land was sold.