This building was constructed on Argus Street in 1890, being designed by W F Cazaly and G W Watson and built by Mr Rogers.
It started as a Court of Petty Sessions, being an intermediary between the community and the government, mainly for petty crimes. In cases of people being sentenced to prison they usually went to Beechworth jail.
The Courthouse was closed in 1976, with the space being used by the resident police officer at that time, before later being used to house the preschool play centre until 2000. The Tungamah Historical Society then arranged with the Council to manage the building as a museum, which is has been since 2002.