In 1882 a committee was elected to erect a brick building in Barr Street to become a Mechanics’ institute. The following year it was officially opened on 14th September 1883 with a Grand Ball – it would be used as a Public Hall, occasional church services and a Court of Petty Sessions prior the Courthouse being built.
By 1911 it had deteriorated, and repairs and an extension were undertaken. A fire in 1915 destroyed part of it.
In 1929 it was decided to demolish the old hall and replace it, and the new hall opened in 1930, followed by the widening of the supper room in 1937. This improvement work was financed by the local RSL sub-branch, who stipulated that the words “Soldiers’ Memorial” be added to the name in exchange.
Whilst recent renovations were being done, the old movie projector was discovered.
The hall is now looked after by a Committee of Management on behalf of DEECA.